7.26.2012

New encaustic work

Billets S'il Vous Plait
encaustic mixed media
6x6

Whirlwind
encaustic mixed media
8x10
Just a quick post to update you on some of my recent work. I have one more that is just about done ...and another one that is just started. I am quickly running out of summer free time to work on my artwork. School  starts very early this year with a back to work date for me of August 9th.
The piece above titled Billets Si'l Vous Plait (tickets please) has an entire background of tickets from our trip to Europe. Tickets for the buses in Florence, a piece of a ticket to the Louvre, a napkin with a drawing of the Ponte Vecchio, a train ticket from Paris to Milan...and I honestly don't remember what the others were for. Maybe taxi receipts? I also used punchinella for the first time in order to get the raised dots. It's actually sequin waste I used as a stencil for the wax.
The second work titled Whirlwind is the one you saw in the previous post. It has a map of Paris fused into the background on the left side and a receipt from Florence. This work was made just after my return and I really just wanted it to represent travel and the excitement surrounding our trip. I thought that the drawing fit perfectly for this theme to show yearning, the "leap" it took to follow through with the plans, and the surreal euphoria I felt at times during the trip.
Well, I'm off to pack for a weekend away with the kiddos!

3 comments:

  1. ooh, you're working on my birthday! ;( tell them you have to start later to get in more art time...

    Whirlwind is amazing..I love the movement of your line drawings, and as always the texture that you achieve in the encaustic work. What a great way to remember your trip.

    ReplyDelete